Thursday, August 31, 2006

Xin Chai Chou Tofu, Geylang, Singapore

I developed a love for smelly beancurd years ago when I was in Taiwan. It's one of those dishes that you normally smell before you even see it and I must admit that the first time I smelled it, a spew of expletives involuntarily escaped from my mouth. I'm glad I managed to find a place in Singapore that does it at Xin Chai Chou Tofu, 795 Geylang Road, just before Lorong 41. Although it's not the best I've tasted (actually the best I've tasted was in Shanghai, I hear it originated from Shaoxing?) it does do the trick when I get those smelly beancurd cravings.

This place does it the more conventional deep-fried method (I had some really tasty grilled smelly beancurd in Taiwan). It comes with the standard chilli sauce and pickle on the side. As they are fried to order, they turn up piping hot, the chilli could have been spicier though.

Another dish I had to order when I saw it on the menu were deep fried large pig intestines. This is very rare in Singapore now and this place does it pretty well. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside I enjoyed this a little more than the smelly beancurd although it was a little pricey at SGD3.50 for this little teaser plate whilst the more decent serve of smelly beancurd cost about SGD3.

D

5 comments:

diddy said...

You're quite adventurous with the stinky tofu. I still haven't been able to get past the smell and actually place a piece in my mouth yet. Maybe one day....

D said...

It's one of those things that you have to just pinch your nose and take the plunge. I'm always pretty adventurous to try new foods and even if I don't like it at least I can say to myself, "I tried."

:: Pastry Girl :: said...

i can't stand it when i tried it in hangzhou! Okie, you do have a different palate from most ppl that has great dislike for this stinky tofu.

D said...

There are actually few things which I don't really eat. Namely dog (I should do a review on this experience when I was in Korea, my friends ate dog, I only took the pictures) and coagulated blood puddings. Maybe you can give this one in Geylang another shot? I didn't try any in Hangzhou but I love their Dragon Well Tea.

Jacqueline said...

oh my, i think we have got the same taste! i wouldnt dare to take the blood puddings either. and me too, went shanghai got damn addicted to their smelly toufu. and i went hangzhou too! bought the longjing (dragon well) tea leaves. the taste is really fantastic!