Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Bone Steak, Bukit Merah View Hawker Centre, Singapore

I love eating marrow, whether it's the Western style from from osso bucco spread onto hot crusty bread or the localized Indian version in the form of bone steak. Yusoff's has been here at 115 Bukit Merah View for more than 15 years and survived the renovation (with the "coincidental" accompanied rental increase) a few years ago.

Eating bone steak is a rather messy affair and as such I normally order to-go, so that I can enjoy it in the comfort of my home (and go crazy with the messiness as well hehe). Although I've tried the "famous" ones at Beach Rd and Adam Rd, I prefer Yusoff's version because they use mutton soup (sup kambing) as the base for the bonesteak gravy and they use quite alot of egg in it as well which makes it deliciously eggy. I prefer to eat the marrow by sucking it out with a straw not only because I fear the banging will crack my porcelain plates but also because I do believe it's more efficient. The trick here is to use a good quality rigid straw, like the sort you get at Macca's. The flimsy ones will just close up once you apply that negative pressure.

D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That has to be one of my dad's fav.

Shionge said...

Oh I know...it's called 'tulang' or something isn't it. Guys love it!

I'm not game enough to try it really..is it spicy?

Anonymous said...

omg, I love marrow/ tulang! And I just blogged about Bukit Merah View myself, the carrot cake is really quite good I think.

Glad to have this recommendation, only thing is, the sauce looks very bright red and I wish it wasn't. Is it the burn-your-tastebuds-off kind coz it looks it..uh oh.

Lord Dianabol said...

Bad tulang makes you tulan.

But good tulang is worth the hard sucking.

Fantastic post - like good food, this blog keeps making me come back for more.

D said...

michie: I'm sure bonesteak more than a guy thing heh.

Shionge: It's not really spicy at all, I think the redness is from food coloring but it actually does look redder on my picture for some funny reason.

cindy: Yay, living proof that bonesteak is not just a guy thing haha. It's actually not that red, the ones at Adam Rd and Beach Rd are far redder. It's not really spicy at all, of course you can ask them to tone it down still but would encourage you to try it as it is for the first. Remember to bring your own good quality straws if you're dining in.

Lady dianabol: Yes............