Friday, April 20, 2007

Grilled Pork Chops with Potato and Apple Gratin

Although I tend to be more of a red meat person, I occasionally have preferences for pork. Pork is classified as "white meat", so technically it's healthier than beef but from the sight of my chop of porcine splendor, I think I may stand corrected haha. I don't usually appreciate the desecration of meat with fruit. Of the rare exceptions; apple with pork would be one of them.

Ingredients:
1. A good porker
2. Shredded cheeses
3. Apples (Granny Smiths are better but I only had Fujis)
4. Potatoes
5. Gratin matrix (Yorkshire pudding mix sans parmesan)
6. Salt, pepper, spices, herbs
7. Butter
8. Honey
9. Ground cinnamon

Method:
1. Slice potatoes and apples into fine layers (use a skin peeler for this, it works perfectly)
2. Grease some plates generously with butter

3. Put a layer of potato followed by some of the shredded cheese (I used a mix of Italian parmesan, smoked cheddar and mozzarella - the same mix I use for pizzas)

4. Alternate the layer with apple slices and more cheese

5. Repeat the alternating layers till you hit the top. Pour just enough gratin matrix to penetrate the nooks and crannies and stop once it just reaches the surface

6. Bake them in the oven at 180degC (non-fan forced) till pale brown

7. Use the opportunity to grill the chops. I seasoned these with salt, pepper and some dried spices (paprika, oregano and basil) 15 minutes prior

8. Took this picture with the lights switched off just to illustrate the intensity of the heat. Ok... I'll admit it... I just like playing with fire haha

9. When the gratin is pale-brown, remove from oven and drizzle a glaze made from honey mixed with cinnamon and butter
10. Place the gratin back in the oven under grill-mode till the surface is nicely caramelized and golden-brown

Serve hot! I'm rather traditional when it comes to eating pork. I have to cook it well-done. But this breed of pork and that nice charred bit of fat didn't make this taste the least tough and dry at all.

I think the side of gratin deserves to share center stage with the meat tonight. Alternating layers of tart apple and potato held together by melted cheese and topped with a sweet honey-cinnamon glaze. Absolutely lovely.

D

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wah D, your steaks and chops are certainly restuarant standard. I'm not a 'pork' person, but I love the apple gratin. Yum!

Eleanor said...

OMG OMG!!! That pork chop looks..... (can't find a word to describe)- ok, how about drooly? Magnificent! And the Malaccan food looks fabulous too.... E.

Anonymous said...

Another triumph good sir, another triumph!

Lord D

Anonymous said...

Wow its beautiful!

-grace

D said...

Thanks for the kind words.

eve910 said...

absolutely jaw dropping! will try this when i am sad and living alone in Aust again. till then i'll be gorging myself on local food :D

Anonymous said...

hey, this dish looks delicious! i'm intending to try it out, may i know what's a gratin matrix and where i can find it? thanks!

D said...

The "gratin" matrix is just a yorkshire pudding batter. Click on the link in the post. It brings you there.