Monday, November 20, 2006

Chicken Wing Fourplay - Preamble

I've always enjoyed eating chicken wings since I was a kid. During my student days, chicken wings found a special place in my heart because they were cost-effective (read as "cheap" haha). Sure they were cheaper than other meats (as low as 1.50 to 2.00AUD per kg at times) but they still had a nice balance of fat and tender meat which made them rather delectable.

The chicken wing is also extremely versatile and can be tossed up as a dish in many ways, be it grilled, barbecued, stir-fried, boiled, curried etc. After awhile though, the generic and coventional methods of cooking the modest chicken wing eventually did become rather monotonous. Through a few months of cooking chicken wings, I realised that I had begun to scrape the bottom of the chicken wing recipe barrel. That's when I decided to conjure up new ways to jazz up this "poor man's" cut. I wasn't going to give up on my chicken wing!

As the saying goes, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention."; may I be so bold as to add, "But Desperation is the Father of Necessity." This series entitled Chicken Wing Fourplay (CWF) will consist of four posts, each focusing on a different (hopefully interesting?) style of cooking the simple and humble chicken wing.

Stay tuned...

D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a chook wing potato stew last night for dinner stud.

T`was glorious - food that sticks to your ribs.

I, am Lord Dbol.

Anonymous said...

only...four? :p

- 'poor student' in london

Anonymous said...

To honest, these wings are really F******* good! Even my family members said got restaurant standard. Honto SAT!