Monday, March 05, 2007

Bourbon Street, Bangkok

Bourbon Street claims to be the only 100% American owned and operated restaurant in Bangkok. But what really caught my eye was that they specialized in Cajun and Creole cuisine. Well, since there isn't really a Cajun restaurant in Singapore per se (sorry, but the gumbo at Botak Jones doesn't count haha) I decided to give this place a shot. However, to be fair, I've had Cajun food in the states but not in New Orleans itself, so as far as authenticity goes, don't take my word for it.

So we started off buffalo wings, not really a Cajun dish but I've always liked this appetizer. This had a lot more kick than the ones at Charley Browns and the blue cheese dressing gave it a nice twist, plus the blue cheese flavor was subtle enough not to be overpowering.

If this is how gumbo should be, I'll be making my way down to New Orleans pretty soon. Hearty and generously filled with chunks of chicken and Andouille sausage, it was great for dipping the corn bread into.

Another dish that I find difficult to ignore if I see it on the menu; the deep fried breaded mozzarella chunks were pretty decent. They could have been fried a little longer to be more melty but at least it wasn't cold.

A beef po-boy (from "poor boy", there's a story behind this) is basically a traditional New Orleans sub-style sandwich. Well, I don't know if this Lousiana French bread, but it was slightly more chewy and crusty than your typical baguette. At least this roast beef po-boy was served with a generous dallop of hot brown gravy or the so-called "debris" in Lousiana jargon.

Blackened salmon is basically a fillet of salmon topped with spicy Cajun seasoning, grilled on a heavy skillet and served with buttered zucchini and eggplant "dirty" rice. I'm not a big fan of salmon but they said it was not too bad.

I ordered the blacken chicken version instead. These boneless chicken breast fillets were fully cooked and yet still tender and moist. It was served with jambalaya (a cajun fried rice with tomato sauce and andouille sausage) instead of the dirty rice, which was fine by me since I liked the sausage.

Just to make sure we had our protein requirements we ordered a serve of their "famous" bbq porkribs. I didn't expect so many slabs of this. This sure was tasty, the meat was well marinated, had a smoky aroma and was tender enough to fall off the bone. However, towards the end, we were filling pretty stuffed especially when that bbq sauce (which was a little too sweet) started getting to us.

To top off the meal, I had a slice (huge) of their homemade apple pie and two scoops of ice-cream. Even though the top of this pie was coated with sugar, this wasn't overly sweet because the filling was still sufficiently tart. Most important, this tasted fresh and the pastry wasn't dried out. What a sweet way to end off a week of feasting.

D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

- great reviews but slight suggestion, would you mind putting the pricing down of those yummy food.