Sunday, March 25, 2007

Popeye's Chicken, Changi Airport T1, Singapore

Now I have another reason to come to the airport besides leaving the country. This stuff is pretty good for fast food. Most importantly the food tasted fresh and although fried foods can't be totally absent of grease, the oil used did not have that "been re-used a billion times" sort of taste.

The Cajun chips were actually more salty than anything. Didn't really taste much Cajun spices in this but they were crisp and flavorsome. The buttermilk biscuits are really like savory scones and they're served with jam. But to each their own, they are great for dipping into the mash gravy as well.

The chicken pieces here are signifantly larger than what you get at the Colonel's and because of the high turnover, the chook doesn't sit too long under the warmer to dry out. The chicken breast piece was pretty enormous and still rather juicy within. The quality of the fried chicken here sort of reminded me of the good old days when KFC was actually a restaurant, the food was brought to you, served on porcelain plates and the cutlery wasn't made of plastic. Anyone else remembers this?

D

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah and there's a server who will serve you in KFC and the sauces were in the bottles rather than satchets :)

J said...

so when are we going to the airport again?

kahsean said...

hey the chickens skins looks dam crispier than the normal KFC!

Anonymous said...

I love Popeye!! Exam food...

-grace

D said...

serene: Sigh.. and the chicken was actually fried in a pressure cooker not deepfried like how it is today, those sure were the days eh? I'm sure you'll remember Church's fried chicken as well, that was good grub... wonder why it died out. I had some in Canada and it was still just as good!

jason: Easter break? Fly somewhere again? =P

kahsean: Yup, this stuff demotes the colonel to a private for sure.

Mikey said...

we don't get popeyes in australia, thats quite a shame, i will definately have to try this stuff when in asia, I have a feeling that it will bring the same feeling of dirtiness and guilt as my conscious tells me I have consumed way too much cholesterol. But, all in the name of good food I say!

D said...

mikey: Yeah, the only chain fried chicken in Perth that I think is slightly better than KFC would be Chooks.

EmperorSnapper said...

in the early 80's, there used to be Jolibee... i really missed the Jolibee... i went to Manila in the early 90's and managed to enjoy Jolibee in Philippines.. it was simply superb and yummy, some of stuff were different from singapore though.. but who cares! i enjoyed the fried chicken with rice..

red fir said...

I don't remember the porcelain plates, but I sure can't forget the mix vege salad with the darn crunchy turnip? and green beans! Not the lousy colesaw. Wonder why they phase out the vege salad.