Saturday, September 09, 2006

Fengshan Food Centre, North Bedok, Singapore

After a rather boring, lacklustre concert, the only thing I could look forward to was supper. I don't normally go to the East much but I've heard quite abit about this place at Blk 85, North Bedok and have been wanting to try it out.

We were off to a good start with this plate of barbecued chook wings. Well-seasoned and grilled till there was a nicely charred crispy edge, these were almost comparable to the ones I had along Jalan Alor in Kuala Lumper.

This serve of Chinese soft springrolls were quite average, the turnip was too salty and mushy. The only thing worth mentioning is that they were going for only 1SGD a pop, which I think is below the current going market-rate.

I was quite wary about this dish of oyster-egg when I ordered it because they boasted pictures of celebrity clientale and had numerous newspaper cuttings extolling the "superiority" of their version of the product. My suspicions prove well-founded, this was perhaps the least remarkable of the three dishes. The egg was not fluffy, the oysters were not big and juicy, quite a disappointment.

I think we arrived slightly late because the barbeque seafood and satay stores (which were recommended) were already closed or in the process of winding up for the night. Maybe if I'm somehow in the vicinity again I'll drop by to try the barbeque seafood and satays but for now I don't think I'll go out of my way to come back here again.

D

No comments: