Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mei Chin Rd Food Centre, Mei Chin Rd, Singapore

I initially came to this place at 159 Mei Chin Road to have some prawn noodles for breakfast but since I was there pretty early, they weren't ready yet, so I went for the laksa instead. Oh don't get me wrong, I love the laksa here too, it's just that my companion might not have been that keen on something spicy so early in the morning. With very little persuasion we agreed to have laksa for breakfast.

There are many variants of laksa, this one is the version (Peranakan?) which is more commonly found in Singapore. However, instead of using chicken slices, he adds in minced pork instead. The achilles heel of many laksas is the quality and quantity of the coconut milk used; this makes or breaks the dish. Thankfully, this stall uses fresh coconut milk and lots of it. The broth is so rich and tasty here that I often gulp it all down. As you can see from their sign, a bowl starts from as little as 1SGD, not sure if this is a gimmick though because I normally order the 2SGD serve.

We also ordered some water dumplings from another stall as a side. These were quite meaty and tasty but for 2SGD for four average-sized water dumplings, I thought they were rather pricy. The soup was quite unremarkable as well.

Mei Chin Rd Food Centre has alot to offer, including a pretty ass-kicking chicken rice stall towards the back that's supposedly from the "famous" one at Margaret Drive. Just don't rock up at 650AM like I did and most stalls should be open.

D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss prawn noodles...

*wait!* your entry was on laksa!

i miss prawn noodles...

-grace

Anonymous said...

Must try the prawn mee next time.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just read about Mei Chin and was thinking I want to find out more as the Char Kway Teow and Prawn Mee seem interesting...and here you mentioned the prawn mee.

Hehe, first ABC market, now this! Is the prawn mee called Da Zhong, $2? How does it compare to Adam Rd?

Have you tried the char kway teow?

Anonymous said...

*haha Lucky lucky prawn mee gets all the attention. :D

-grace

Lord Dianabol said...

I cannot stop licking the screen...

And I do miss the prawn noodles at Mei Chin Street Market.